Introduction

Welcome to my blog, this is a forum that I have set up for the discourse of fine art and all art based topics. I am willing to discuss just about anything, however, let's try and keep it based on visual art, music, film, and literature. I welcome any comments good or bad, although I will be very selective as to which I will respond to. So please try to avoid any unnecessary negativity if you actually want a response.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

World Travel: Visual Journal


 
Generally when I think of the pole regions of the planet I think of the lack of color that exists in these environments and how dull and gray that they are. This is an image of the Aurora Borealis (or Northern Lights) which is a natural phenomenon that occurs over the Arctic and Antarctic regions of the planet. I wanted to show that image because color is so often associated with different countries and cultures and there is hardly any color there. It must be an amazing site to witness these natural light displays in such colorless places.  I believe that most countries are associated with some sort of color because it makes them seem welcoming and inviting.  The Asian and Indian cultures are usually depicted with a lot of red in the environment even though most of it is from the man made environment and religious imagery.  The United Kingdom is often associated with the color green because it is full of really lush fields and rolling hills.  Africa is often depicted as a very earthy continent and it makes you think of the color brown because that is the color of the soil and a lot of the foliage. It is strange though because when I think of the United States a lot of different colors come to mind and none too specific. I believe it must be the fact that we have so many different cultures living in one country and they can all be represented differently. I think that this project was really successful because it seemed almost seamless in its presentation and I’m very curious to see how she creates the extension of it for her next project. 

5 comments:

  1. When I think of Michigan I think of Blue and Green, blue skies and lakes and green grass and trees. The sand dunes are yellow orange and in winter, Michigan is white. There are many colors to Michigan because of our seasons and the Great Lakes. In the fall, we are blessed with red and yellow leaves that people don't get to see who aren't from here. There are enough colors here to do a color wheel project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color connections that you made for each part of the world was very similar to my perceptions as well. It's interesting to think about why society correlates these connections. Is it merely because of the countries environment and land? Even though I also think of browns and natural colors when Africa comes to mind, it would also be interesting to think of the country for reds and oranges because of their attire and accessories. In many images or videos that I've seen of Africa, there seems to be many outfits and jewelry that have a vibrant color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been focusing mostly on the colors of the world that people who live there every day would typically see. I never considered incorporating the natural phenomenon of colors that are so rare to see and how they contrast against there surroundings. That would be a great idea for another project. Thanks for the incite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it interesting how you first start talking about the pole regions, when talking about world travel. I think that each person automatically visualizes a certain place or climate when they think about travel. So in terms of making art about world travel it is interesting seeing what the artist thinks of first because I think that subconsciously artist put their own ideas of each topic in their art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a good point of The US not having an unspoken color like some other countries do. I think that is something that can work with this project. Because the US is a mixture of different cultures it might be harder to single the distinct colors out. But when we see all of the vibrant colors represented we can relate what we see to what we know. By having these visuals of foreign countries we can associate them with what we have here. Why a region has a specific color has a lot of different factors, and by seeing what it is like in other places, we can get a better look at culture. And when step out and evaluate geography and culture we can know more about not only what it is like there, but what it is like in our own backyard.

    ReplyDelete