Introduction

Welcome to my blog, this is a forum that I have set up for the discourse of fine art and all art based topics. I am willing to discuss just about anything, however, let's try and keep it based on visual art, music, film, and literature. I welcome any comments good or bad, although I will be very selective as to which I will respond to. So please try to avoid any unnecessary negativity if you actually want a response.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Perception vs. Reality

Philip K. Dick

When I think of perception vs. reality I always immediately think of movies like the Matrix and Total Recall because they focus on the idea of alternate realities that coexist and are altered by influences from outside sources.  I think it would be impossible to talk about perception and reality without making a reference to the famous science fiction writer Philip K. Dick who is the grandfather of such thought. Philip K. Dick is known for conceptualizing and inventing the idea of virtual reality in the 1960’s and 70’s, long before the invention of conventional personal computers, video games, and the internet.  Many of his books have focused on this concept and have been made into films by some very highly respected film directors; check them out if you haven’t seen them, they are sublime.  His book titled “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep” was made into a film by Ridley Scott titled “Blade Runner”, his book “Second Variety” is the film titled “Screamers” by director Christian Duguay, the book “We Can Remember It For You Wholesale” is a film titled “Total Recall” by Paul Verhoeven, the book “Impostor” was made into a film by the same name and directed by Gary Fledor, the book “paycheck” was made into a film by John Woo titled “Paycheck”, his book “Minority Report” was made into a film by the same name and directed by Stephen Spielberg, the book “A Scanner Darkly” was adapted for the screen by Richard Linklater, and last but not least his book “The Golden Man” was made into the film “Next” directed by Lee Tamahori. Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

  1. I think it is really interesting that you talk about the movie the matrix. I have never seen the movie but I feel like from all of the refrences I have seen it is a perfect example of perception vs. reality. It also reminds me of the movie Inception, where they go into peoples dreams and they can change what is happening, but if they get in too deep they can forget what is reality and what is only a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, I always love reading your blogs and hearing what you have to say because you are so knowledgeable on so many subjects! I think it is such a great thing that you brought up Phillip K. Dick and his school of thought on the subject of perception vs. reality. It's great to have these historical facts about Kelsey's project because it gives us a new perspective of her piece and where the idea originally stemmed from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that you gave a ton of examples using movies and books that describe the theme of Perception vs. Reality. Being a movie buff myself, I can really relate and see how those movies pull in those same ideas Kelsey brings forth in her project.

    ReplyDelete