Introduction

Welcome to my blog, this is a forum that I have set up for the discourse of fine art and all art based topics. I am willing to discuss just about anything, however, let's try and keep it based on visual art, music, film, and literature. I welcome any comments good or bad, although I will be very selective as to which I will respond to. So please try to avoid any unnecessary negativity if you actually want a response.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Food and color

Photographing food can be considered an art form, most critics refer to it as still life and I must agree to a certain degree.  Many people shoot food because they are interested in the forms, colors, and textures which I agree should be considered still life or sculpture.  However, I think that when food is photographed merely for the sake of advertising and promotion, of specific products, that it shouldn’t be considered art at all.  I thought that the majority of the images that were posted on the blog fell more into the advertising/promotional aspect of food, so I was inspired to look up some artists whose works would actually be in the fine art canon.  I hope these references can offer some inspiration to you all; they did for me.  Giuseppe Arcimboldo, Martha Friedman, Carl Warner, Dieter Roth were some of the people whose work I thought fell into this category. 

Giuseppe Arcimboldo  is an artist who used food as art; although he was a renaissance painter and not a photographer, I think he exemplifies the use of food in fine art. 

  Martha Friedman uses food or the forms of food in her art; she creates playful, large scale sculptures using the forms of food in many of her works.  




















 Carl Warner uses food to create interesting 2D landscapes that he refers to as being “foodscapes”.















 Dieter Roth’s use of food is different than that of the others, because he actually used real food to create his imagery so that he could see how the work evolved as it decayed. 
 

6 comments:

  1. I think food shape also has a lot to do with the aesthetic you are trying to portray. It must resemble the thing that you are trying to show it as. Food is generally smaller in size than something in a landscape. Resizing the food gives a larger than life appearance. I think that it is a cool effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food is something that is consumed on a daily basis by people and constantly being looked at, but it is something that can also be taken for granted. The construction and works of art that pieces of food can make is quite unique. There's an element about food that other items and objects don't have. They have a texture, color and look that makes the viewer crave more. As far as combining food with art, I think that it's perfect. Food can be manipulated in many different ways that can always create something completely new. The fine art aspect of working with food kind of reminds me of ready mades. The image above using eggs that are just stacked on each other, are just objects that look like an egg but not transformed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arcimboldo's images were a huge inspiration to me when doing the project. Being able to combine so many different foods into a cohesive work, photographically, would be very time consuming, but the end is very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that advertisements have so much art in them now days. They are generally fully produced with great concepts. Their problem is that they force us to watch them without choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the subject of food in art is something we all automatically connect back to still life. And being that this is an idea where food is helping create a composition of food out of its original context is a great artistic motive. I think Sarah did present her work in a way that is creative and challenges the viewer to investigate the images further to uncover just what is in each and every image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you that images of food that are taken strictly for advertisement and stuck on a billboard, etc. are not considered artistic. I also liked that you found the image of Carl Warner's work. I think his work relates a lot to the general idea Sarah wanted to go in.

    ReplyDelete