Introduction

Welcome to my blog, this is a forum that I have set up for the discourse of fine art and all art based topics. I am willing to discuss just about anything, however, let's try and keep it based on visual art, music, film, and literature. I welcome any comments good or bad, although I will be very selective as to which I will respond to. So please try to avoid any unnecessary negativity if you actually want a response.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Abandonment: Potential in the Ruins

Kim-
    I believe that you have a really good subject to work with, I have always found abandonment to be a fascinating subject; how can someone or people just up and leave a person or place and not give consideration or understand the impact that it's going to have on that person or place.  I believe that you are fortunate to have our great city of Detroit at your access for this project because it is an excellent example of abandonment. Having personally spent a great deal of time in the city, I have seen the abandonment first hand and am astonished that such a once amazing city can be in complete ruins. When people or places are abandoned they always have the appearance of emptiness and convey sadness because we know that there was once life there and Detroit is a perfect place to document those emotions.  I agree with you and think that it is very important to not just skim over the matter, paying attention to the elements that are often overlooked is what people need to think about and I'm looking forward to seeing how you address it.  A lot of people think that Detroit is a lost cause because of the condition it's in now, however it's projects like this that can bring things to light and restore some hope for the city.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that people look over Detroit without a second thought of the potential it really has. If people stopped to look at what it really has to offer, we might be able to get it to like it used to be. Or maybe even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad to see when someone leaves a place with so much life like Detroit. I really can't imagine it would be an easy decision to uproot. My hope is that in time, and with enough exposure, Detroit might become what it once was, as Jenna says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Detroit is a great place to do this project as well. Like you said, there is some emotional bond between a city and a community of people. Many of us know that Detroit was a thriving and vibrant city that has fallen on hard times and is in need of some major TLC. I think part of this project may be able to show more than just "urban decay" as we so often see, but because of how close we are to this city it may ignite a sense of compassion towards making Detroit a better place starting with art.

    ReplyDelete